Lancaster County is full of architecture that has both historical and design value. Here are some examples that span the centuries from the pre-Colonial era to present day.
Benjamin Mishler’s 10-hour house
Built in, yes, 10 hours, in response to a wager in 1873. Mishler and his workmen already had built a house in less than 20 hours to satisfy another bet.
533 S. Prince St., Lancaster, PA 17603
Ephrata Cloister’s saal
Hans Herr House and Lancaster Longhouse
Hans Herr House (1719) is the oldest home in Lancaster County and the oldest Mennonite meetinghouse in the Western Hemisphere. The longhouse was built in 2012 as an example of the typical longhouse of the Eastern Woodland tribes.
1849 Hans Herr Dr, Willow Street, PA 17584
Residences at Stevens School
The former Girls High School for Lancaster city, this building was designed in the Second Renaissance Revival style by noted Lancaster architect C. Emlen Urban and built in 1904-1905. Urban designed several other striking buildings that still are Lancaster city highlights, including the W.W. Griest Building (8 N. Queen St., Penn Square), the Hager Building (25 W. King St.), Farmer’s Southern Market (106 S. Queen St.) and Reilly Brothers & Raub Building ( 44-46 N. Queen St.). All are within a few blocks of each other downtown.
355 W Chestnut St, Lancaster, PA 17603
Rock Ford Plantation
The home of Edward Hand, Irish-born doctor, adjutant general to George Washington during the Revolutionary War and early Pennsylvania political leader. A great example of Georgian architecture, the 1794 home still features most of the original doors, hearths, some windows, floors – more than 90 percent of the original home in all.
881 Rockford Rd, Lancaster, PA 17602
The Ware Center
One of the last buildings designed by renowned architect Philip Johnson, it was opened in 2008 by the Pennsylvania Academy of Music, and now is part of Millersville University of Pennsylvania and open for a wide variety of performances, exhibits and lectures.
42 N Prince St, Lancaster, PA 17603
Wright’s Ferry Mansion
The 1738 home of Susanna Wright, an early colonial resident who was a poet, correspondent of Benjamin Franklin, liaison with the local Native American tribes, devout Quaker, expert in law and medicine and founder of a silk production industry. William Wright, a descendant of the original owners, was a conductor on the Underground Railroad.
38 S 2nd St, Columbia, PA 17512
— Jennifer Kopf